Spending more time at home? Many Northwest Indiana families are social distancing due to COVID-19. Therefore, everything is used more often, including your plumbing. It’s okay – plumbing is meant to be used! However, be sure to clean your plumbing to keep it in working order. Hey, you are cleaning and disinfecting anyway! Simply add a few more tasks to your list. Below are some easy cleaning and maintenance suggestions to keep your plumbing as good as new:
General Indoor Maintenance:
- Clean Out Drains: Buildup in pipes and drains happens over time. When you and your family are socially isolating, the plumbing is used more. This can cause gunk and grime to accumulate at a faster rate.Cleaning out the drains will help prevent clogs. Even if your drains aren’t causing an issue, clearing them out frequently is a good way to keep them going strong! Grab some baking soda and white vinegar for a cheap drain cleaner. Just pour equal parts of baking soda and white vinegar down the drain, starting with the baking soda. Allow the mix to sit for about a half an hour. Then, flush the drain with piping hot water.
- Clean Out Sink Traps: Most sinks become clogged every once and awhile. Gross gunk builds up faster with frequent use. When your drain isn’t working properly, the trap might need to be cleaned, which is located under the sink. If you are unsure how to do it, call Mike’s Plumbing for assistance. In a pinch, you can try to run some boiling hot water down the drain first. Then, use a plunger. If your sink is still clogged, remove the drain and clean out the trap. Call the experts at Mike’s Plumbing!
- In the Bathrooms: Keeping clean and healthy in the wake of COVID-19 means more showers. If your shower isn’t working well, it could be because of mineral buildup and soap scum. This is a simple fix! Allow a mix of baking soda and white vinegar to soak the showerhead for at least a half an hour. Then, you can scrub away the grime. Your toilet is also being used more. For toilet care, clean with white vinegar only. This keeps the finish intact while killing harmful bacteria and viruses. If you are using another cleaner, be sure to follow the instructions on the bottle. And never mix vinegar and bleach!
- In the Kitchen: Give your garbage disposal a thorough cleaning. You can use the vinegar and baking soda method. For a fresh scent, use some lemon when you are complete.
General Outdoor Maintenance:
- Clean Outdoor Faucets: While you have your white vinegar and baking soda handy, head outside to clean our outdoor faucet as well. An easy way to do this is combine the mixture in a Ziplock bag and tie it to the faucet. This allows the mixture to really soak! Remove it and let the water run to clear it out.
- Clean Irrigation Systems: If you have an irrigation system, check for any leaks or issues. If you don’t have one yet, check out our blog and click HERE to learn more about them!
Keeping your plumbing clean and ready to go is time well-spent. You have enough stress – don’t add plumbing problems! Regardless, you aren’t alone. During this time of uncertainly, Mike’s Plumbing is just a call away. If overusing your plumbing causes a problem, big or small, give us a call. We can get your plumbing back in working order in no time. Call today at 219-808-1073 or email: Mike@nwi-plumbing.com.
It is our pleasure to serve you and your family! If you found these tips to helpful, please share this blog with your friends and family. We appreciate all likes and shares!